Here’s What You’ll Need
- 4 sheets of 4′ by 8′ sanded plywood cut into 6″ strips and 11/32″ in thickness
- Air compressor and nail gun
- 1 nickel (for spacing)
- 1 and 3/8″ 18 gauge nails
- Circular saw (for cutting the top piece)
- Jigsaw (for cutting spaces for outlets and light switches)
- Miter saw (for cutting pieces to the correct length)
- Stud finder
- Painting supplies (paint, primer, paintbrush of choice, rollers)
Step By Step Instructions
- First, you’ll need to prepare your materials. Each piece of plywood needs to be cut down into 6-inch strips. If you don’t feel like going to the trouble to do it yourself, your local home improvement store should offer it at a price per cut. Next, find the studs on the wall with the help of your stud finder, and use a pencil to make each mark.
- Beginning at the baseboard, nail an 8′ board to the edge of the wall with the help of a nail gun. Next, cut a piece of plywood to cover the rest of the wall. Obviously, this measurement will vary depending on the size of the room. The idea is to create an alternating board size effect.
- Grab your nickel for this step. Although it’s such a tiny object, it comes in handy. Beginning on the alternate side of the first row, add an 8-foot board on top, and use the nickel to leave space between each row. Every couple of rows, use your level to ensure you are staying on track. Also, take the time to cut around the plywood for openings for outlets and switches.
- If you want to add paint, this will be your next step. Although, before applying your brush to the wall, make sure you fill the nail holes with putty and give them time to try. Next, apply your primer and paint color of choice. If you are looking for the perfect white color, Benjamin Moore White Dove will do the trick!
You might also like: Organize Your Next Oil Change Appointment
Come Find Your New Ride at Tarr Hyundai
With all of the money you’re saving on DIY home improvements, you can afford your dream ride. Head on over to Tarr Hyundai in Morristown, Tennessee to view our diverse inventory. Our team looks forward to assisting you!