Chicken and dumplings are a great addition to Sunday dinner with family and this recipe is delicious. Whip up this Southern version of chicken and dumplings this weekend. Your family will absolutely love it.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 stick of butter
- 10.5 ounces of cream of chicken soup
- cracked or coarse ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cup self rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 tablespoons of cold water (this ingredient may not be needed)
- Fill two thirds of a stock pot with salted water.
- Add chicken and bring the pot to a boil over high heat. (Make sure the water covers the chicken)
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pot and set it aside. Let the broth continue to simmer on low heat.
- Add butter, cream or chicken soup, and a generous amount of black pepper to the stock. Let it simmer stirring occasionally.
- Grab a medium bowl and stir together the flour and the salt.
- Once the salt is mixed in, make a well in the middle of the bowl.
- Crack the egg into the small well along with the oil. Mix it together. The dough will be sticky. If needed add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Flour a surface in preparation for rolling the dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it on the floured surface.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is 1/4-inch or less thick.
- Cut the dough into squares.
- Toss the squares into the remaining flour on the surface until they are lightly coated. This will keep them from dissolving in your stew. It will also thicken the base.
You might also like: Keep Your Home Light And Airy This Season
Chicken and Dumpling Stew Instructions
- Shred the chicken and add it to the broth.
- Add the flour from the surface and floured dumpling squares a few at a time.
- Stir frequently. As you add the dumplings they will sink to the bottom. Make sure to stir along the bottom to keep them from sticking. The dumplings will soak up some of the broth.
- When the dumplings are done, they will turn white and float to the top (20 -30 minutes).
- Add pepper as desired and enjoy!
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.